What Do I Need To Apply For A Work Visa In The US?

Let’s say you are considering moving to the US to work, the first step of this process is to apply for a work visa and permit right?

The application process for obtaining a U.S. work permit is also called an employment authorization document or (EAD).

This application process is a straightforward process.

You will need to fill out a form, attach receipt of the fee you paid, photos, and documents proving you’re eligible, and then submit it to U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS).

What Do I Need To Apply For A Work Visa In The Us?

Let us note that before you start your work visa application process, it is important to check if you’re eligible for the application, else the time, money and energy you put in would be fruitless.

If you are interested in working in the United States, you may be interested in either obtaining a temporary work visa, or an employment based green card.

A variety of temporary work visas exist, and each of them will allow you to stay in the US for a specific amount of time.

By obtaining an employment based green card, you will be considered a permanent resident due to your employment status.

Any option you pick has different requirements, and this is why it is important to determine your eligibility status for each.

Requirements for application of a work visa in the US

Let’s check out the documentation you would need to have before you can go ahead with the process of applying for a US work visa.

  • Valid international passport
  • Form DS-260, immigrant visa and registration application
  • Two passport photographs
  • Your civil documents
  • Financial support
  • Completed medical examination forms

Steps for application of a work visa in the US

What Do I Need To Apply For A Work Visa In The US

There are four main steps you need to follow to apply for a work visa in the US, let’s scroll down to find out these steps;

1. File the form

As an intending non-immigrant worker, the I-129 Form will have to be filed on your behalf by a prospective employer and it will have to be approved by U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS).

2. Complete your online visa application

After your I-129 form has been approved by USCIS you can then apply for one of the temporary worker visa categories.

You will need to complete the online visa application which is the DS-160 Form.

While you’re filling out the DS-160 Form you will have to upload your photo to the application as well.

After you must have completed the online application, print the confirmation page and come along with it on the day of your interview. 

3. Schedule your visa interview

Endeavour to schedule your interview as soon you’re done with the application process.

The waiting time for interview appointments vary by location, season, and even visa category.

4. Prepare your required documents

Endeavour that the required documents listed above are intact and then bring them along to the interview venue.

Other Ways You Can Work In The Us

Apart from the employment authorization document (EAD) which is the ‘work permit’, there are other possible ways through which a non citizen can work in the US.

For example; Permanent Residency, or an employment-related visa which allows you to work for a particular employer.

Eligibility For A Us Work Visa

A work visa is only available to a limited group of immigrants, usually those who are in the process of applying for a green card or those who have temporary right to be in the US.

Which Us Work Visa Is Suitable For You?

Always remember to check which of the US work visas you are eligible for and that is suitable for you.

Let’s read ahead to find out which of the US visas you would be applying for.

The US work visa options are as follows;

  • L-1 visa: for foreign workers and owners wishing to transfer to a new or existing US business.
  • E2 and E1 visa permit: for investors and traders.
  • H-1B visa permit: for specialty occupations.
  • H-2B visa permit; for non-agricultural workers.
  • EB-1 Green Card; for outstanding researcher or professor immigrant visa classification.
  • EB-2 Green Card Permit; for non-citizens with exceptional ability.
  • EB-3 Green Card Permit; for professionals, skilled and other workers.
  • EB-4 Green Card Permit; for special immigrants including religious workers.
  • J-1 visa permit; for holiday work visa.
  • H2-A visa; for temporary agricultural workers.

Recommended Posts:


Once you are eligible and you meet the necessary requirement for the application of a work visa in the US, then go ahead and check for the type of visa most suitable for you.

As soon as you have figured out the most suitable type of visa for yourself, follow the step by step procedure and then wait for the embassy to call you back while your visa is being processed.

I hope you have gotten all the information you need to apply for a work visa in the US and I hope you get the visa, good luck!