How To Move To Canada As A Skilled Worker

The Federal Skilled Worker (FSW) program is specifically designed for individuals who are selected to immigrate to Canada due to their skills and work experience.

It’s worth noting that as of 1st January 2015, candidates for the FSW Program will be chosen to apply via the Express Entry System.

That said, let’s now look at how to move to Canada as a skilled worker. But before that, you need to check if you’re eligible for the program.

Are You Eligible for the Federal Skilled Worker Program?

Before you can apply for the federal skilled worker program, you must satisfy any of the following:

  • Already have a job offer
  • Be eligible to work in Canada
  • Can prove that you have enough money to support yourself when you get to Canada; and have a minimum of 1 year, full-time skilled work experience; have a post-secondary certificate, degree, or diploma; meet the minimum language levels in either English or French; plan to live outside the Quebec province.

If you meet any of the requirements above, then you’re fully eligible to apply for the FSW program.

What Kind Of Work Experience Do I Need?

How To Move To Canada As A Skilled Worker

You must have either Skill Type 0Skill Level A, or Skill Level B work experience on the Canadian National Occupational Classification (NOC).

Additionally, your work experience must be either full-time, paid, or the equivalent hours part-time. By full-time, it means you must have worked at least 30 hours per week. You must have gotten such work experience within the past 10 years.

NOTE: These limits do not apply to you if you have a permanent job offer.

Read Also: How to Migrate to Canada (5 Easy Steps)

The FSW Point System

Before you can apply as an FSW, you need a minimum of 67 points. You get different points based on:

  • Your abilities in English and/or French (Canada’s 2 official languages)
  • Your education
  • Your age
  • Your work experiences
  • Your adaptability
  • If you have arranged employment in Canada

Visit the Six Selection Factors page to see the breakdown of your skilled worker points and know if you qualify.

Again, it’s worth noting that the Federal Skilled Worker point system differs from Express Entry points.

How to Apply As a Federal Skilled Worker

You will have to submit your profile to Express Entry if you are eligible to apply under the Federal Skilled Worker (FSW) category. Express Entry is a new web application system for economic immigration categories like the FSW.

Do You Need More Information?

If you need more information, simply check any of the resources below:

  • Federal Skilled Workers: Get detailed information about selection criteria and how to apply. From Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC).
  • Come to Canada: This is a tool that you can use to determine what your options are if you want to move to Canada as a student, immigrant, visitor, or worker. From Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship Canada.
  • IRCC Help Centre: This is a tool that will answer your immigration-related frequently asked questions. You will find different ways of searching through the available information, including search by keyword. From IRCC.
  • Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC): This is the federal department in charge of Canadian immigration and citizenship. On the website, you will find helpful information on immigration policy, programs and services, application kits, etc.